The Acadian people first arrived in the 1600’s. Despite attempting to remain neutral during the wars between the British and the French, they were expelled during “Le Grande Dérangement” between 1755 and 1762.
“Annapolis Royal, formerly known as Annapolis, is a town located in the western part of Annapolis County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Today’s Annapolis Royal evolved from the 1605 French settlement of Port Royal (briefly Charlesfort), renamed in honour of Queen Anne following the Siege of Port Royal in 1710 by Britain. The town was the capital of Acadia and later Nova Scotia for almost 150 years, until the founding of the City of Halifax in 1749. It was attacked by the British six times before permanently changing hands after the Siege of Port Royal in 1710. Over the next fifty years, the French and their allies made six unsuccessful military attempts to regain the capital. Including a raid during the American Revolution, Annapolis Royal faced a total of thirteen attacks, more than any other place in North America. As the site of several pivotal events during the early years of the colonisation of Canada, the historic core of Annapolis Royal was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1994.”
Fort Anne, built in the 1700’s, was declared a national historic site in 1917.
Garrison Cemetery, Annapolis Royal
Garrison Cemetery is a cemetery located on the grounds of Fort Anne in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. It is located next to the old Court House, at the intersection of George St. and Nova Scotia Trunk 1.
Historic Gardens, Annapolis Royal
The Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens were opened in 1981.
O’Dell House Museum, Annapolis Royal
The O’Dell House, built around 1869, was the home and tavern of Corey O’Dell, a rider for the Pony Express.
The Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia is located in Cherrybrook, Nova Scotia east of Dartmouth.
“Dartmouth is a community and former city in the Halifax Regional Municipality of Nova Scotia, Canada. Dartmouth is located on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour. Dartmouth has been nicknamed the City of Lakes, after the large number of lakes located within its boundaries.”
Dartmouth Heritage Museum, also known as “Evergreen House”, was the home of Dr. Helen Creighton, Nova Scotia’s best-known folklorist.
Quaker House, restored around 1785, was built by Quaker whalers. It is one of the oldest residences in Dartmouth.
“The Halifax Waterfront Boardwalk is a public footpath located on the Halifax Harbour waterfront in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.”
The Old Burying Ground was the first cemetery in Halifax, in use between 1749 and 1844. It is located at the intersection of Barrington Street and Spring Garden Road in Downtown Halifax.
“Pier 21 was an ocean liner terminal and immigration shed from 1928 to 1971 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Over one million immigrants came to Canada through Pier 21 and it is the last surviving seaport immigration facility in Canada.”
Photos taken in downtown Halifax.
Constructed between 1828 and 1856, originally known as Fort George, it was in use until the end of World War II.
You must be logged in to post a comment.